Maintenance for most of us

Recently I came across the most concrete statistic I had ever seen on software maintenance. You've probably heard already that a typical IT project spend 25% of its resources on the initial development and the rest (75%) on maintenance but what does that mean for us, who are working in…

Trade facilitation and UN/CEFACT

My friends think the United Nations is an abstract organisation, mostly harmless but useless, ran from ivory towers. I have first hand experience, through my work at UN/CEFACT, that it is not quite the truth. UN/CEFACT is the United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business. It…

Closures and private properties

For the Java or PHP developer, the closure (a distinct flavour of private state) is probably the most unfamiliar feature of JavaScript. However it is not very difficult to master. I like to think of closures as scopes that outlive their function calls. In JavaScript, like in every modern programming…

Life with a cinema camera

The name could not be more descriptive: the Pocket Cinema Camera from Black Magic Design is a tiny camera that delivers excellent images. The highlights (pros and cons) of the BMPCC, as the camera is often abbreviated, are: Super 16 1080HD sensor, cooled actively, that delivers 13 stops of dynamic…

SVG files: retina-ready graphics

Retina displays are becoming ubiquitous: originally introduced on the iPhone, they have migrated to iPads and now MacBooks. Other manufacturers also offer high-density displays on a wide range of devices and as a consequence… many web sites look dreadful. The images, optimized for fast download, lack the level of details…

JSU: more productive with JavaScript

Direct manipulation is one of the most effective UI paradigm but, until very recently, it was too expensive for most web/intranet applications. See what has changed. The tenets of direct manipulation are (1) virtual objects that the user interacts with through (2) small, incremental actions and that deliver (3…